My Second Birth

Leah, Our Second Baby (excerpted from the book, Spiritual Midwifery)

I was trying not to be impatient since my due date was past and I seemed so ready. Douglas and I were spending as much time as possible paying attention to each other.

Sunday night we went for a walk and the moon looked pretty full, so I said to it, “Shine on me, maybe this full moon will bring the baby out.” We made love before we went to sleep-that’s what put her in there and I think that’s what got her out!

At 2:30 AM I woke up to go to the bathroom and was so sleepy that all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. I tried to go back to bed and I had to go again—that’s how I started with Jody so I thought hmmm. . . . I lit a lamp and saw some bloody show. I woke up Douglas and told him to go call Cara.

I was having cramps in my legs. I didn’t think they were rushes at first, but they started coming and going so I figured that they must be. I didn’t like the cramps; they made it hard to get comfortable. I thought to myself, “No, I don’t want it to be like this.”

Around 3:00, Cara sent Leslie over to check me out. I wanted an enema so I could stop going to the bathroom and get comfortable. Leslie checked me and I was six centimeters dilated so she called Cara. Cara said “No enema,” and she was on her way.

Douglas and I started smooching. My water bag broke during a kiss. I heard it and felt it and told Leslie. Everything was moving right along. I still wasn’t having what you’d call strong rushes. I was comfortable now, legs barely cramping.

My whole body was shaking. Douglas had a very tight grip on my hand and it felt like an electrical hookup. I had a rush and said to myself, “Relax, relax, relax.” Douglas started shaking all over like I had been, and stopped when my rush stopped! I realized then that feeling everything intensely was good because it put me in control.

Cara came with Cynthia and checked me. I was almost fully dilated and they started setting everything up. I told Cara I thought I could push. She told me to wait because they weren’t ready. That was okay with me.

When everybody was ready I tried pushing. I didn’t feel like I was rushing any more, but I was in complete control so when I wanted to I’d say in my head “push” and be surprised to find it happening and feeling just as I remembered. Cara said later it looked like “effortless great pure effort.” I thought it felt great. I took it slow so I wouldn’t tear when her head came out. I looked down and liked being able to see her. On the next push not much seemed to happen and I thought “This is going to be a big baby and I am going to have to push harder to get her out. Can I do it? I have to!”

Out she came on the next push or two, crying a little. Cara told her she was gorgeous. When I could hold her, we looked at her and loved her.

Born Monday at 4:19 a.m., weighing 9 pounds, 4 ounces.

I didn’t need stitches.

Comments are closed.